Thursday, January 12, 2012

Aromatherapy



We stink by nature.
I'm currently in a search for the perfect deodorant that will (a) not leach chemicals into my body daily and (b) actually work.  I shower regularly to remove my own smells as well as all the ones from the baby's lunch regurgitated on my shoulder, the nasty science project gone awry, the spitting bacon grease, the garlic that loves my fingernails.  Of course the kids stink too.  They love dirt, they love to wrestle till they sweat, they have no qualms about crawling on the floor at the grocery store.  Oh, and diapers.  Savor that thought for a moment.  These are aromas not shared with the general population, when possible.

The content of my thoughts and attitude mostly stink too.  All that goes on in my head while baby re-shares his lunch, when the science project is spilling, when the grease hits my (white, of course) shirt, and the day after I cut garlic - its not pleasant.
Milk spilled on the floor tonight from Henry's cup.  (It had a cover; he thought he'd rather drink it without one.  And while lying down.)  I didn't think good-smelling thoughts all over him.

Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.
II Corinthians 2:14

This thought has fascinated me recently.  Diffuse the fragrance of Christ.  I don't want you to smell me.  I'm gross.  But I would love you to smell the aroma of my Savior.  Chances are, however, you might catch a whiff of my sulfuric attitude sometime when you're nearby.  Sorry, in advance.
How is this supposed to work?

Well, the million-dollar candle companies may have some idea.  They put strong chemicals in wax.  Hard wax.  What do people do to get that smell out?
Heat the wax.
Wait for the smell.

Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
II Corinthians 1:22

God sealed Himself into our hearts the moment of our salvation.  We can be confident of Him in us.  How does the aroma of Christ diffuse out?  
Heat the wax.
Melt the hard heart.
Wait. 
The longer and stronger the heat, the more fragrance is released.  It isn't pleasant to be near a flame.  It hurts.  We - well, I - ask why, and complain, and mope about the heat.  But later, after some of the wax has burned down, I go back into the room and notice the aroma.  Sweet.  More pleasant than it was before.  Maybe the good is even so potent that the diapers and onions that were bothering me aren't so noticeable any more.
God will remain in us; He's a guarantee.  He leaks out a bit of His sweet perfume.  
To remind us of His sweetness.  
To let others around us know He is in us.  
To glorify Himself though us.  
He uses us to diffuse Himself. 

Sealed, but leaking.

Not a good byline for a diaper company.
But the mark of a servant of the Lord.



And a reminder to find better deodorant.








1 comment:

  1. Must have just gotten a whiff of Ben's diaper. Thanks Stephanie. Your words make it simple to lose my thoughts surrounding my selfishness and look to the One who loves me and always will.

    ReplyDelete