Saturday, October 8, 2011

Seasonal


I love New England this time of year.
The hills are breathtaking in riotous color, clear air and dazzling blue sky reflecting in picturesque little lakes.  Puffy clouds dapple the landscape with movement.  Postcard perfect, but so vibrant, so alive.
Soon it will be winter.  Icy lakes will reflect the gray sky.  The hills will be covered with stark trees, monotone and still.  Lifeless.

Beauty before death.  At the risk of giving trees too much personality, I was awed by the thought.  In preparing for the inevitable end to their lively summer season, every tree proudly displays its most beautiful stance.  Each leaf, at its end, is unique and vibrant.  They have lived for the summer, they have done their job for the tree, soaking in sunlight so the whole plant can grow bigger and stronger.  Their final days are inevitable.  Instead of shriveling and dropping into oblivion, they first blaze in bold, joyful color.  They praise their Maker.  They display a hint of His beauty.  They have fulfilled their purpose, and glory in it.

I won't draw the comparison further.  But I saw more than a postcard today.  When I fulfill my purpose, I hope my end will reflect the beauty of my Creator to those around me.  I hope to boldly reflect His glory when I have completed my usefulness.  Winter inevitably comes.
But then, after that, so does Spring.        
   

1 comment:

  1. Every autumn, I also find myself pondering the trees. A blaze of glory -- a hope of future good. Hints at resurrection. Before I was born again, all I saw in autumn was death.

    ReplyDelete