Saturday, February 11, 2012

Give it time.

Five year old, pouting over reading homework and grumbling about an odd phrase, "I don't believe in anything I can't see!"
Me, pouncing on the opportunity, "Oh, well, do you believe you have a house?"
Five year old, "Yes, I can see it."
Me, "Do you believe in the wind?"
Him, "Yes, I can feel it."
Me, "Do you believe I'm your mommy?"
"Yes, because you take care of us every day and feed us and change diapers."  (Yup, that about sums it up...)
"Ok, so do you believe in God?"
Him, still pouting and realizing this is a chance to tell mommy what she doesn't want to hear, "No.  I can't see Him."
I expected this from little Mr. Attitude, "Well, I believe He is real because somebody had to make this earth and the trees and the clouds.  And somebody had to put a lot of thought into making you."
"Nope.  I don't believe it if I can't see it."
"Well, He is real, whether we believe it or not."  I let the matter drop.

The next day, at breakfast, I asked again.
"Gav, do you believe God is real?"

He sighed, but being in a better mood and full of bacon, replied, "Well, maybe a little... It just makes sense."

A day and a slab of bacon can really help with perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment